Jill Rumley - Artist

Original oil paintings by Jill Rumley

Tag: playing cards

Week 24 – 52 Card Pick Up Art

Mediocre chaos. That’s what I call this piece. As usual the political climate recently has made us all either very angry, cringing in fear, hiding under the bed with our arms over our head, or deciding to ignore the chaos and the mess. So I choose mediocre chaos. Nothing is black-and-white; everything is gray and very confusing. Not to mention a big ol’ mess. 

Week 23 – 52 Card Pick Up Art

Raspberries.  Fresh raspberries.  Summer is an amazing time of year when all of fresh fruits hit the markets.  I love to buy local fruits and veggies, and this week a friend of mine on the West Coast was talking about all of the fresh raspberries in her yard.  She posted some photos that were delicious! This inspired my card painting for this week.  It’s a raspberry bush.  Or at least my interpretation of one!

When we lived in Minnesota a few years back, our neighbors had berry bushes in their backyard.  We’d get the honor of harvesting the berries for them while they were on vacation.  Fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.  I remember one night the first summer we lived there.  They walked over from their back yard (we have no fences!) and invited us over for homemade ice cream and fresh raspberries.  What a wonderful treat! We had great neighbors in Minnesota.

Week 21 – 52 Card PU Art

T-Dawg. Teddie, the Chinese crested (with hair!) is my friend’s dog.  He’s a sweet boy, shy yet energetic when he’s with his people. My friend has commissioned a painted of T-Dawg  for her birthday, and I’m working on an 8×10 for her in oil.  In the meantime, I thought I would doodle a T-Dawg on a playing card.

 

Week 17 52 Card Pick Up Art

This week’s (well actually it was for last week) art is just weird.  I don’t like it one bit.  I had just finished my painting of my piggy, and thought I’d try to paint a mini one.  Ick.  I’m not sure it looks like a pig or a dog or something deranged.  Although even though I don’t like it, I will share it at the end of this post.

What IS new and good news is I found some mini frames that fit my playing card paintings!  I put my favorites in the frames and they’re now for sale for $20 each!  Check it out now and contact me if you’re interested!  

 

 

 

 

 

When I came up with this idea last Fall, I had no idea what or where it might take me creatively.  The past couple of weeks, I have not been feeling very creative painting-wise. I’ve been working on my drawing skills and photography.  I guess that’s the just the ebb and flow of the creative process.

Okay, here’s the weird the pig-dog-on-fire thing.  ICK.

 

 

 

Week 16 – 52 Card Pick Up Art

Orange. Why did I paint an Orange?  Because I’m going to be traveling to “Orange” California this weekend to spend time with friends who have recently moved there.  For a spontaneous piece, with no subject to study, I think this came out okay.  Looking at the photo of it now, I suppose I would add the stem, a leaf or maybe even partially peel the orange.  These are all great ideas for a future still life painting. Meanwhile, just a round orange looking object is what I  have.

I also did work on another piggy painting.  He’s almost done…I just have to let the background dry before I do the final layer for the hair.  I had to double check that pigs have “hair” and not “fur.”  Like horses, who have “hair,” pigs have “hair” as well.  Either way, it’s almost done and I will post it next week!

“Orange” Oil on primed playing card.

52 card Pick Up Art

One of the art projects that I wanted to start this year, it’s a project called “52 card pickup art.” The idea behind this project is to do one painting a week each week of the year. My thought was; since there are 52 cards in a deck of cards, why not use them as my canvas?

I prepped the 52 cards by painting the backs with the primer. And now I have my project ready to go! The only problem I ran into was having the flu for the first week of the year so I missed starting my project on time.

But here we are in the third week of January and I am finally caught up with the beginning of my project. Below is a photo of my three cards that I started with. The first card is a portrait of a dragonfly. I started off this card by using pastel pencil directly on the primer. Well, that didn’t work! So I sealed the card and painted over my crummy pastel pencil painting with acrylic. That seemed to work out better! The point of this project is to experiment with different mediums and how to make them work on different surfaces so I am OK with mistakes.

My second week is a dandelion blowing in the breeze. This one I just did straight acrylic onto the primed surface.  I really like this one!

For the third week I just did a simple design. I just think it’s fun using different mediums and different services. This one is also acrylic paint. Maybe next week I will try to oils, but I’m not sure.